2001 SS Suspension upgrade

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
twomanymontes

Re: 2001 SS Suspension upgrade

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:57 pm

No sure Pete, I'm thinking maybe another performance tire but wider by a size. I have to start looking around Christmas time. That's when the tires start going on sale online.
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Swapped out the right front wheel bearing tonight. The front brakes are getting low, that will have to wait till next month. The tires are pretty well shot as well, but that will have to wait till spring. I could always swap over the winter tires if I need to.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 am

Last night while Matt and I were racing, we talked about cleaning up the 01 for car shows next year. His Buddy Sean doesn't have a car, but has been having lots of fun hanging out with us at shows.

So I have been thinking about going with a road race look. Not tuner-ish, but something that look like part of the Pirelli World Challenge or IMSA Series. It's already got the lowered springs for the stance, the wheels I chose because of the racing series, but it needs something more.

We decided it was time to dig out the ground effects and get them painted and on the car. Plus were creating a rear diffuser and a front splitter. There is also a harness bar for inside to create roof support and I have a couple other ideas just need to see if they are available.

Probably going to dump a few grand into it next spring, so this might be my next show car, LOL!

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:25 pm

sounds cool. do you have any pics of what the ground effects will look like?

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

They look like the ones on the Intimidator Edition. But mine are multiple colors because I took them off different cars, LOL!

Matt needs to fix a few cracks and then paint them black. Part of the front one has a support issue that the front splitter would take care of. Just need to find one that will flow with the curves of the ground effect lip.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:04 pm

That pic looks cool Dave. Can't wait till spring. It was cool seeing Sean at some shows this year. We HAVE to do more shows together next year.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Yeah, Sean has spent most of his time in classrooms since Matt and him were in Kindergarten together. Hope he will join us next year too. But he still has another year and a half of school to go, so we will see how it pans out.

We have been cleaning out the garage to make room for the parts and tooling for the upgrades.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Well, the new front fenders are in. Got them from Rock auto for $45 each.

I also I have done some research on tires. Looks like I will be going with the Kumho Ecsta 4X II. Very similar to what I have been running but they are not directional. So it would be easier to rotate. The next closest tire would be the Falkens at $10 more and I'm not big of a fan of the

Brakes will be ordered as soon as my bonus check clears. I found a set for Stop Tech pads and rotors on a screaming deal!

Plus I got a line on a Tony Stewart grille for it. $200 is a little steep, but that seems to be the going price. I'm going to try and do some haggling as see if I can get it cheaper. Looks like this

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm

I ordered and paid for the grille last night. After all the hassle I went through to pay this kid, I hope he sends it soon. Plus I dug out the ground effects from the rafters at the garage. This weekend I'm going to start cleaning them up so Matt can start working on them.

Sunday, Matt and I went to M&M for some parts for side jobs coming up. Came across a few 6th gen Montes and with some of the ideas I have for under the hood, I needed a way to hide some of the wiring. Especially the main connector that crosses over the top of the battery with a stupid huge connector. So I grabbed the connector and about a foot of the wiring on both sides. I plan to splice them together and use it as an extension to run the wires either into the fender or under the batter tray. Should make it look cleaner. Then I will figure out something for the other side.

Going to be a interesting year!

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Brakes and rotors arrived! There was an issue with the StopTech rear brakes. I wouldn't get them until mid April. So I decided to go with the PowerStop Extreme Street.

Saved a few bucks as well.

The Tony Stewart grille arrived last week as well, Has a few nicks, but nothing Matt can't fix. We got the ground effects out and Matt started fixing the cracks. The driver's side has a bad crack and missing a corner. This week, Matt is going to fix it with another broken ground effect that I grabbed at the yard.

And!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday, I scored a scored a whole deck lid with the stand up spoiler!! Mine has the flat Surfboard style and would take a lot of welding and bodywork to be able to use the stand up spoiler.

Really looking forward to getting this Monte set up for shows this year. Especially since April 11th will be my tenth year with it. Fitting time to do a rebuild.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Wow Dave sounds like your moving full speed ahead! I'm looking forward to seeing the car with the new grille, ground effects etc! :)
"No shitter ever came between me and Christine"....Arnold Cunningham

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks Wayne, I hope to get it done over the next few months.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm

New tires arrived yesterday. Took one in to work and mounted it up. It's almost an inch wider! But looks so sweet!!

Car is up on jack stands right now so I threw it on to check clearance. I still have about a finger's thickness before it contacts anything.

Next week I will start working on the brakes and since Matt has already started on ground effects, we will be tearing the front end apart for paintwork.

I will start posting pics as I get them

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Can't wait to see progress pics.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 pm

We had about 10 minutes at the Garage Friday night waiting for the boys to show up. Matt and I took off the hood, the under hood cover and the headlights. started to take off the ground effects when they showed up so we stopped.

Covered up while other work was being done

Matt had to do a little repair on the Tony Stewart grille

The Front and Rear ground effects

The side skirts being fixed and will be modified

And the new deck lid I picked up a few weeks ago, but that will be for a future upgrade

And finally, the way she looks right now

With all the work going on I hope to have it ready for the Nationals in June, Preferably, for Belle Isle, but I'll settle for the Nationals.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Stopped at the garage tonight after work. Matt was there and took the fenders, the nose piece and the side skits off. There is a little bit of a rust issue on the rockers under the skirts. Matt's going to do a quick patch job and we'll undercoat it and burry it under the new side skirts.

And now I have a bigger deadline. It's 40 days till opening weekend at the Glen. I got a lot to do and no time to do it!!

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 pm

Spent most of the day working on the car today. We got the nose, grille, front and rear ground effects sanded, repaired and ready for priming tomorrow. Also we got the new fenders on and test fitted. I also finished mounting and balancing all four tires.

Tomorrow heading to M&M to see if we can find a new door hinge and then back to the garage to work on the car. Hoping to get the panels in primer and maybe I can start working on the brakes.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Went to the junkyard today, got a new set of driver's door hinges and a bunch of the clips that I needed for the side skirts.

Then headed back to the garage and got the nose, grille, front and rear ground effects are primed and the fender repair is done. Matt's hoping to have it in paint Saturday. Hoping next week I can finally get the brakes done.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 am

Sounds like you're making some great progress.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Were trying really hard Clint! Look at the progress that was made on your Trans Am in the last 2 months