84 Monte SS project

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
twomanymontes

84 Monte SS project

Post by twomanymontes » Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Over the last year or so Matt and I have done a lot of upgrades on his car.
We installed the F-Body 36MM sway bar with new links and bushing, He's had this for well over a year now and I finally had time to install it.

And then we replaced the Steering center shaft, Got rid of the old rag joint set up.

Now the car stays planted and handles really good in the front! but the rear has a tendancy to come around in the corners.

The Transmission went in during the fall and working, but I still needed to get a new shifter cable. The original cable is too short and the F-body cable makes too tight of a bend and binds. We installed a B-Body brake booster. Plus we pulled out the entire interior minus the dash in the fall.

Over the last month or so, we installed a new headliner, carpet, repainted all the plastic parts and have most of them installed. Installed a 3rd brake light too. We did do something a bit differant to give it an updated look as well. The package tray, A-piller, B-piller and the upper trim pieces are now covered with headliner material and it blends in really good.

here are some pics to give you guys an idea:

Today, I spent a few hours working on Matt's car. He put in some finishing touches to the interior.

Because the pillar pieces were dried out and didn't look good painted. So they were covered in
headliner material. It gives it an updated look.

The new center console is almost completely custom made by Matt. It started out as a console from a W body,
then cut in half and fiberglassed to conform to to the dash. The Shifter is out of the W body and the top
plate is covered in headliner material and fitted with the Ampmeter and Vacuum gauges

All new Door panels, Uppers upgraded to 86-88 versions and the lowers are customs that have the mold
for the speakers.

Basically the interior is done for now. In the Fall the seats will be pulled and recovered.

And I upgraded the rear sway bar. We took the rear sway bar out of a 2001 Olds Bravada and
used a set of front link pins from a 2001 Dodge Durango. Very little modifications to make it work.
Out with the old...

Comparing the old with the new.

and then installed.

Took it for a test drive and it is like night and day! After installing the front F-body sway bar,
the rear would come around if you went to fast around a turn. Now it tracks flat and hugs the curve!

Next year, new rims and tires, tubular trailing arms
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

battmann
Site Admin

Re: 84 Monte SS project

Post by battmann » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 am

Nice suspension upgrades. Sounds like you made a lot of improvements but didn't have to spend an arm and a leg. Interior looking good. How did you cover the A pillars? Did you just use spray glue or something?

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri May 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Clint, the sway bar set ups cost him less than $100. including all new bushings and links. The overall handling is a huge differance over stock.

Matt used spray glue on the pieces and then a hot glue gun on the backside to keep it from pealing. the screws the hold the pieces on have hot glue on their backsides to keep the fabric from unraveling as well.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:32 pm

WOW, I went to do an update on Matt's car and realized I haven't added anything in almost 3 years. Went back to find the posts I made on the NYMCC.

2 years ago, Matt made his own version of a trunk kit. Created fiberglass forms, smoothed them with body filler and covered them with headliner material.

Even added some power outlets

Over the winter we took the seats to JMB Interiors in Canandagua. The factory seats were redone with larger bolstering and covered with Synthetic Ultra leather with custom stitching. The Head rests have the SS embroidered in them

and the rear seat has the Knight's Crest in the center of the rear.

Plus all 4 seats are heated with hidden switches and are done in two tone to match the rest of the interior.

Then we added the GPS/Tire Pressure Monitor screen to the center console and recovered the center piece in the Ultra Leather. Plus we added a compass rear view mirror with LED map lights

Why a Tire Pressure monitor? Well, basically to protect the new rims and tires.

Staggered sizes, 235/45R17 in the front and 275/40R18 in the rear.

They made a huge difference in handling. and ride.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 pm

So this weekend, we pulled his car out of storage and started getting it ready for the upcoming season.

We ordered a set of new shocks from Tire Rack and the rear shock mount support bar from UMI Performance.

Jacked the car up and got the stock rims off

Out with the old

And in with the new

And the shock mount bar installed

Now the car rides stiff, but seems to corner better.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Nice upgrades. I've always liked the UMI products. Can't wait to install them in the TA.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks Clint, I'm sure some of the ideas we have put into Matt's car will find their way into the Trans Am eventually.

UMI seems to be pretty decent. This is the first piece we have ever purchased from them so were curious to see what it will be like at the Glen this weekend.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri May 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Forgot to update this after the Glen, Matt got behind a slow car, but the improvements we made over the last year made a huge difference! Smoother ride, faster braking and better handling in the turns. This car is going to be like driving a slot car in a few years. Still has a little chassis flex, but were working on that.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:16 pm

So, time to post up the latest upgrade. Matt wanted something different under the hood than the typical covers that Tim and I have. He took an idea off a Camaro we saw at a show and expanded on it. Came out really nice and he has gotten quite a few comments and questions about it.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:25 pm

I think all the comments Matt's car gets plus the awards speak for itself Dave. He did a great job on it. I liked your idea about an additional piece towards the back.
Nothing but Mopars Image