1958 Plymouth Fury CHRISTINE!!!

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
petegee77

Re: 1958 Plymouth Fury CHRISTINE!!!

Post by petegee77 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Making progress, that's great.
Nothing but Mopars Image

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Today things went 50/50... I managed to install the brake bellows and master cylinder without to much trouble. I was planning on installing the gas tank but had to stop. I am unhappy with the fit of the sending unit lock ring. Aside from appearing too small in diameter for a perfect fit the raised areas that would normally lock it in place seem way to "raised" if that makes any sense. I'm going to see if I can find my original for comparison purposes to see if its a different style ring altogether. :)
Looks to me like the tank manufacturer includes a universal lock ring intended to cover many different years makes and models. In a way I'm glad I stopped because I've decided to not take a chance and use the aftermarket sending unit. A fiend sent me a link to a company here in NY that rebuilds sending units. I've decided to send them my original and have it restored. Meanwhile, I just got done purchasing another lock ring.. MOPAR intended and the special wrench used to install and remove the ring. I just can't chance using that sending unit let alone a universal lock ring that doesn't fit right. It'll be a few weeks now before I can install the tank but I have the feeling the wait will be worth it. :)
"No shitter ever came between me and Christine"....Arnold Cunningham

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Huh - there's actually a tool for those rings.
I always struggle with my hammer & screwdriver. Lol

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Yeah there is a tool! I had one, but hated it. And of course it really only worked on cars 88 and older. Once fuel injection came to be, the sending units got larger and so did the lock rings. I usually just use a small pry bar and a hammer anyways, LOL!
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:58 am

I hate struggling with the screwdriver and hammer. Figured I'd splurge and spend the $10.00 for the tool. With my luck I'll need it again at some point anyway! :lol:

How good are you and making custom brake lines Dave? Got a bender and flaring tool by chance? I'm not looking forward to making the lines up off the master cylinder to the proportioning valve! :shock:

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 am

I got a bender & flaring kit you could borrow.
Bending the lines is pretty easy. I'm no good at flaring though. I can do a single flare but never had luck doing a double.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

battmann wrote:I got a bender & flaring kit you could borrow.
Bending the lines is pretty easy. I'm no good at flaring though. I can do a single flare but never had luck doing a double.
I'm with you Clint, I never really got the procedure down for doing those flares.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri May 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:I hate struggling with the screwdriver and hammer. Figured I'd splurge and spend the $10.00 for the tool. With my luck I'll need it again at some point anyway! :lol:

How good are you and making custom brake lines Dave? Got a bender and flaring tool by chance? I'm not looking forward to making the lines up off the master cylinder to the proportioning valve! :shock:

LOL! I do custom lines in my sleep!! I do all the lines at work. Those guys make them look like a distillery half the time. I make mine look as close to stock as possible. I just finished making and installing all new lines for a 2004 Chevy Suburban over at the garage. And the guy who owns it is some sort of Engineer at Delphi. So I had to make sure they are perfect.

And what kind of mechanic would I be if I didn't have all the proper tools??? LOL!

What kind of material? Plain steel? Coated Steel? Stainless? And I assume you mean the lines that have the cork screw. That's the easy part, just need a good jack handle.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Clint, I will teach you someday. They are so easy!

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm

petegee77 wrote:
I'm with you Clint, I never really got the procedure down for doing those flares.
LOL! I do close to 150 brake line jobs a year. Everything from just 1 small line to replacing every last one on some cars/trucks. Do as many as I do and you will make some great flares!!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 am

twomanymontes wrote:
petegee77 wrote:
LOL! I do close to 150 brake line jobs a year. Everything from just 1 small line to replacing every last one on some cars/trucks. Do as many as I do and you will make some great flares!!
I think that's the trick. The more you do the better you get. Doing one or two every couple of years just doesn't cut it.
Nothing but Mopars Image

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 am

While I try and figure out how to kidnap Dave and "bribe" him into helping me make the brake lines I'm staying focused on getting as much done as I can as fast as I can... One of the cool things my car had originally was an aftermarket Voltage regulator made by blue streak. I was going to try and restore it until I got lucky and found the same model on Ebay NOS in the box. Needless to say I hit the "Easy" button and bought it for $50.00..

OLD...

NEW...

As for Christine herself, The custom radiator is in along with the six blade fan. Turns out I needed a special 1/2 inch spacer but got lucky and found one on Summit's site. It will be blacked out though to maintain that factory appearance. Also installed is the A/C condenser in front of the radiator. The one I chose fit countersunk into the radiator support perfectly, and after a bit of minor customizing it is now in and ready to go! Turns out only a flex style radiator hose will work at the bottom and I can live with that. Upper however is an original fit and will look great with the old school clamps!

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Looking pretty awesome!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:While I try and figure out how to kidnap Dave and "bribe" him into helping me make the brake lines I'm staying focused on getting as much done as I can as fast as I can...
Good luck with trying to get Dave , take a number . He's usually pretty busy this time of year but I've NEVER seen him as jammed up as this year. The man is flooded with work not to mention trying to get his own cars ready for the season. I'm on his list, towards the bottom, and it's a long list.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:15 pm

LOL! Pete, I will get you in soon. I shut down the schedule till after I get back from the Nationals.

Wayne, Probably going to have to wait till July at this point. And even that's questionable. But as for a bribe, I'm easy! Sahlen's Hot dogs on the grille and Coke in the cooler and I'm good!

Seeing as I will need to custom make them, May I suggest Stainless lines? Inline Tube and possibly Classic Tube have lengths of stainless tubing. And Don't get coiled line either! That's stuff looks like crap! I use straight lines so I can put the bend where I want it and the straight sections don't look wavy.

Plus, what size are the fittings? Are they standard 3/16" fittings? I have plenty of them. But I don't know what size the Master cylinder takes.

I will start saving fittings!! LOL!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 am

twomanymontes wrote:LOL! Pete, I will get you in soon. I shut down the schedule till after I get back from the Nationals.
I know how busy you've been brother. Ro and I are picking up the Camry next Friday but I'll just bring it in to Casullos for inspection by you at some point. .
Nothing but Mopars Image

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Sahlen's and coke it is Dave! You read my mind regarding stainless. Wouldn't have it any other way. I had stainless lines made years ago.. well at least the "long stretches". We'll need to run the lines off the master to the proportioning valve (location yet to be determined) and the lines to the caliper hoses. The master cylinder takes two different sizes if I recall correctly. This is where an expert experienced mechanic comes in. I am a hobbyist and my skills are limited. I don't pretend to know it all and if there's a way to get Dave over here to get these lines done then I'll gladly raid Wegmans hot dog section and more! :)

I'm going with Dave's recommendation on the front calipers from the monte. I have no idea what size brake hoses or lines I'll need. Late July or into august fits right into my schedule for the build. :)

As it stands now, I'm in the process of restoring my headlight assemblies and getting the new gas tank ready for installation. I installed the restored sending unit today. Here's some progress pics. I hope to have the headlights fully assembled sunday after the show.

As I suspected, the higher end (More Expensive) gas tank sending unit lock ring did the trick. Installed evenly and securely with the refurbished sending unit. I'm glad I spent the $8.00 for the tool as well. Made this simple and easy! :)

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:41 pm

TIME ... seems the older we get the faster it goes.
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 pm

petegee77 wrote:TIME ... seems the older we get the faster it goes.
You ain't kidding brother!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 pm

battmann wrote:
petegee77 wrote:TIME ... seems the older we get the faster it goes.
You ain't kidding brother!
Missed you at the show today Clint. Good club turnout. Great to see Wayne there for a while.
Nothing but Mopars Image