1958 Plymouth Fury CHRISTINE!!!

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
twomanymontes

Re: 1958 Plymouth Fury CHRISTINE!!!

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Hey Wayne, did you check and make sure July 30th or 31st will work for the brake lines?? Trying to put a schedule together.
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 am

So I got a call out of the blue from the gentleman who sold me the car that he found her original mill! Sadly his wife became very ill and he decided to clean out his enormous barn that he's been packing things into for decades. I imagine it would have looked like something out of American Pickers full of Hemis, 440's, GM motors etc. It was many years ago that he had dismantled my car and when I bought it he wasn't sure what became of her original motor. Now that it's been found I own it! It would be a shame to not reunite her with her numbers matching factory motor. So, it's being rebuilt as we speak. Should be completed and ready for paint next week hence the "Big Change" to my build schedule...

It was disassembled this past week and it was determined that it could be rebuilt. It spent several hours in the oven at 700 degrees to vaporize all the grease, oil and rust. From there the parts went into the shot blaster which is essentially a large cabinet the shoots small metal pebbles at high velocity to clean everything down to bare metal. Then everything was magnafluxed to check for cracks and inspected. Here's what we found..

1. All Valves are pitted and most stems show significant wear. All intake and exhaust valves will need to be replaced.

2. All Valve springs are worn and will be replaced.

3. The heads were mildly ported which is a plus.

4. The original valve seats will be replaced with hardened seats to contend with unleaded fuel.

5. The block was bored by the previous owner 60 over. There is minimal wear and all cylinders are solid. To ease the build we're going to go another 2 or 3 thousandths which will bring us to the stock bore of a 1959 361.

6. The pistons and pins will be replaced with a high end set of flat top pistons and HD pins. The original connecting rods are cherry and will be reused.

7. The crankshaft is solid with minimal but significant wear on some main and rod journals. It will clean up perfectly at 10 thousandths so we will be using high quality main and rod journal bearings undersized at .10

8. The cam was reground and 3 lobes show significant wear. The cam will be replaced with a mild street performance lunati cam with hydraulic lifters and HD valve springs, locks and retainers.

9. Lastly, the block will be decked and the heads resurfaced equally to achieve 10:1 or 10.25:1 compression using the modern day felpro blue head gaskets.

When all is said and done she'll be a sister to her NOS cousin! As sad as I am to see the NOS motor go I am thrilled to have her numbers matching motor. Plus, the new soon to be owner of the NOS 350 is thrilled And so it begins!...

"No shitter ever came between me and Christine"....Arnold Cunningham

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:51 pm

That's pretty cool. Congrats on getting the original engine back. Glad it can be rebuilt and put back in the car.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:50 am

Finding the matching number block is awesome!! But it really only counts if the car is being restored 100%. But it's still worth some points.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 am

Sorry for the blurry pics. My phone sucks... As of this morning. Mocking up the rebuilt power steering pump and pulleys...
I also spent a "shit pile full of dough" on the brake parts. Ordered through Napa. I forgot about the core charges on the 4 calipers. Total out of pocket? $632.00 and some change. As soon as I get over the guilt and buyers remorse I'll get crackin! :lol!: As for the dual piston calipers I decided against it. The fine print said you needed 15" rims and mine are 14. Figured I'd play it safe and went with the bone stock calipers.
Lastly, the rims have been sandblasted and painted. Movin right along! :)

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Making some good progress. Engine & rims look cool.
You'll be happy with the new brakes.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 am

Not much progress to report. After mocking up the A/C compressor, generator and power steering pump we ran into an issue with the fan hitting the compressor. Not sure how I'm going to address it just yet. I don't want to use an electric fan but may have no choice. :(

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Bloodhound1958 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 am
Not much progress to report. After mocking up the A/C compressor, generator and power steering pump we ran into an issue with the fan hitting the compressor. Not sure how I'm going to address it just yet. I don't want to use an electric fan but may have no choice. :(
Damn! I sure hope someone can figure out a fix. I'm not big into electric fans. I have one on the PT and I'm constantly watching the temp gauge per Dave's instructions.
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:25 pm

How's it hitting? Can you use a spacer or something?

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Wayne, Are you sure you have the correct fan? Or is there supposed to be a spacer? It didn't hit with the other motor did it?

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 am

Well, I am happy to report that the body is reunited with the frame and the numbers matching motor is in. The exhaust system is in along with the driveshaft and gas tank. Next I'll be reinstalling the steering column. Then its on to brake lines, transmission coolant lines, a few things under the hood and reinstalling the front clip. I'm hoping to kidnap Dave asap for help with the brake lines and transmission coolant lines! Now where'd I put his address and phone number? :lol:

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 am

It's coming right along Wayne. Nice goin'.
Nothing but Mopars Image

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:27 am

Sorry I missed your post Dave. Unfortunately the A/C Compressor hits the fan. I'm pretty pissed about it and may hold off on installing the compressor altogether. There's a very thin spacer and things are super tight so I may have to revisit the issue down the road to stay on schedule. Either that or go with a low profile electric fan and hope that resolves the problem.

Thanks for the encouragement Pete. My energy and enthusiasm are about spent so I hope things work out. I have to go in for an angiogram in two weeks and my arm will be messed up for awhile so gotta do as much as I can before hand.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Spent a couple hours at Wayne's today. Got his front lines all made and installed. Still have a lot of work ahead of him, but slowly it will get there.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:59 am

Front brakes done. A huge thanks to Dave for his expertise and time! We took the easy road and ran NiCopp line in the front. Used stainless from the master to the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and a premade stainless line all the way to the rear. Next up comes the rear disc brake conversion for 4 wheel disc brakes! Smile Fortunately the lines are already premade in stainless for the rear so I should be good to go!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 pm

I bet you can't wait for her to be done and to drive her. It's been a long journey.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Wayne, if you need help with the rears let me know, I can try and sneak away for a few hours and help.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 am

petegee77 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 pm
I bet you can't wait for her to be done and to drive her. It's been a long journey.
Got that right Pete. I'm starting to doubt I'll ever get there. It's been 13 years now. If I can get her running then that should re invigorate me. Just tired of the time and money spent. Seems never ending.

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:23 am

twomanymontes wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Wayne, if you need help with the rears let me know, I can try and sneak away for a few hours and help.
Thanks Dave. I'll be sure and do that when the time comes. I want to focus now on just trying to get things buttoned up in the engine compartment and get the front clip back on. Not sure if I'll get there this summer or not. I'm very tired these days and I have very little time to work on it. :(

Bloodhound1958

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Work continues guys. Had a bit of a scare on 8/11.. To make a long story short I had chest pain and as it turns out I had a 90% blockage in the exact same spot I had one 9 years ago. They had to put a stent within the stent that was there and it wasn't easy. Painful to say the least and took me 2 weeks to recover. I managed to get the carbs on and I'm in the process of installing the compressor, power steering pump and generator. I'm going to try and kidnap Dave again for help with my fuel line. It's a short run but need his expertise to get it right. Hopefully I can persuade him into coming over again.

I must say that he is the nicest guy and very generous with his skills. He did an incredible job on my brakes and made easy work of a job that would have taken me weeks.

Here's where I'm at. Getting there bit by bit. As for the fan and radiator issue? I took some measurements and can make them work with some minor modifications to the fan blades and the radiator shroud! This makes me very happy as I can return the electric fan I bought and keep somewhat of a factory appearance! :)
ImageImage