Resurecting my truck

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
petegee77

Re: Resurecting my truck

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:24 am

twomanymontes wrote:Clint, We had the roof at the shop start leaking too. This weather has been just nuts!
Crazy year for sure.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:52 pm

So as if I'm not broke enough from the head gasket job on the SS, Last week I blew the brake line in the truck. No big deal, I ran a new one. But somehow, as I pulled the old line out, I broke the last original section of the fuel line. Ran back to the store, got a section of steel line and fixed that. Then the truck wouldn't start. WTF?? I broke the ground strap to the fuel pump along the frame. Repaired that, bleed the brakes and took it for a drive. Now I get a banging noise in the front end when I take off or hit the brake. At that point I was pissed and just had to walk away.

Earlier this week, I checked it out. The upper ball joint is shot. So I ordered a new one. Well today, I wish I could say my luck was better, but not by much. Matt, Jack and I went to the junkyards. I found a front driveshaft for my truck. I knew one of the u joints was bad and the slip joint was bound up. Found a truck that was nearly a twin to mine. The truck had a 2016 inspection sticker, so I know it hadn't been there long. I crawled under, The shaft was freshly redone. Couldn't have been in the truck 6 months. New u-joints and the slip yoke moved freely.

Once I got back, I took the truck to the garage and on the way there, the truck started straining to maintain speed, then I smelled the brakes. The right front was hot so I let it cool while I replaced the ball joint. That went fairly easy, and other than having to cut the old shaft in half to get it out the new shaft went in easy.

Jumped to the other side, the caliper was seized! I just did the brakes a few months ago and it collapsed easily. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow???
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:06 pm

God what an awful day Dave. When it rains it pours.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Yeah, That's the problem with driving a 21 year old truck. Sooner or later it will have everything brand new and I will have to start everything all over again.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Got out of work on time today. So I decided to replace the fuel line. I didn't like the quick repair I did a few weeks ago, so I bent and installed a new line and fuel filter. Sprayed it with grease. Hope this one doesn't rot out in 2 years like the last one did.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:05 pm

twomanymontes wrote:Got out of work on time today. So I decided to replace the fuel line. I didn't like the quick repair I did a few weeks ago, so I bent and installed a new line and fuel filter. Sprayed it with grease. Hope this one doesn't rot out in 2 years like the last one did.
2 YEARS !!! WTH ? Never heard of a fuel line rotting out that fast. We used to use an "armored" fuel line from Car Quest that supposedly lasted eons. It had some special kind of coating on it that was the "armor".
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:36 pm

petegee77 wrote:
twomanymontes wrote:Got out of work on time today. So I decided to replace the fuel line. I didn't like the quick repair I did a few weeks ago, so I bent and installed a new line and fuel filter. Sprayed it with grease. Hope this one doesn't rot out in 2 years like the last one did.
2 YEARS !!! WTH ? Never heard of a fuel line rotting out that fast. We used to use an "armored" fuel line from Car Quest that supposedly lasted eons. It had some special kind of coating on it that was the "armor".

Pete, that's a plastic dip on those lines, They last a little longer, but still rot out. Got to remember that crap they started dumping in the last few winters tears cars up! And I power wash the truck weekly, to avoid it. Still doesn't help.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 am

Sounds like you've done everything you possibly can to prevent them from rotting out. Seems like replacement lines aren't up to OEM specs. So far so good with the Jeep and that's been thru 4 winters already with no power washing.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Over the last few weeks, I managed to find time to respray the front light bar and the step bars in Bedliner, Also had Matt weld up some braces on the broken radiator support. Today I decided to take it down a construction road and make sure the 4 wheel drive works.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:46 pm

I hate knowing winter is so close. What a bummer. :(

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:58 pm

twomanymontes wrote:Over the last few weeks, I managed to find time to respray the front light bar and the step bars in Bedliner, Also had Matt weld up some braces on the broken radiator support. Today I decided to take it down a construction road and make sure the 4 wheel drive works.
I take it that it did work. ( fingers crossed)
Nothing but Mopars Image

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:02 pm

battmann wrote:I hate knowing winter is so close. What a bummer. :(
It be comin Clint. :lol:
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Yeah it works. Now I just need to get the cap on and the other wheels.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:44 am

twomanymontes wrote:Yeah it works. Now I just need to get the cap on and the other wheels.
The beast looks so different without the cap.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

Yeah I know, But I hate the snow that builds up in the bed. Plus its nice to be able to put things back there and it be dry.
was hoping to do that is weekend, but Dad changed that. Next weekend I will be out of town, so maybe one day after work I can get it done.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:11 am

twomanymontes wrote:Yeah I know, But I hate the snow that builds up in the bed. Plus its nice to be able to put things back there and it be dry.
was hoping to do that is weekend, but Dad changed that. Next weekend I will be out of town, so maybe one day after work I can get it done.
Actually I'm so use to seeing it with the cap I kinda like it better. lol
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Funny thing Pete, I drove the truck for 7 years without it, Then for 5 years with it on all the time then since it got rebuilt its been on and off. So it looks perfectly normal to me both ways. If I had a fiberglass one, it would be on all the time. They are just way to heavy to pull on and off every 6 months.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Still haven't got the cap on. I spent yesterday replacing the water pump. Matt had to weld a bracket that broke and I topped off all the fluids and checked the air pressures. Monday I need to inspect it. The weather is supposed to be dry later in the week, maybe I can get the cap on then.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:58 pm

WOW, almost a year since I have done anything to the truck. LOL!

Last week I changed the oil and topped off the fluids. And Matt painted the new roll pan. I added 2 flush mount LED's and created a wiring harness to hook them into the reverse lights. Well, tonight I got it installed and wired to the truck. It looks really cool!!! I also added new tail lights.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it mounted yet, but I took some as it was being assembled

The new light set I got

the flush mounts

the roll pan marked before cutting

with one light mounted

and painted with both mounted

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Well, for some reason the pics are not showing up. I have to work on that.

Today, got the tailgate back on, swapped out the headlights and marker lights, repaired the wire to the temp sender for the rear view mirror, finished undercoating the underneath and did some touch up.

I need to up load the pics Matt took today.