Camaro might be good to go!

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
battmann
Site Admin

Camaro might be good to go!

Post by battmann » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

i finally put in a bunch of time getting car back together this past weekend. probably took me 15 hours. good thing i don't earn a living as a mechanic. in all fairness, i did spend a lot of time polishing the aluminum pieces as i assembled stuff because it was easy to do with everything apart.
anyway, i got my camaro running at 11pm this past Sunday night. it was too late to do a test run and make adjustments, but at least it started up and sounded good. the car only dropped 200-300 RPM when i put it in gear and it wasn't stumbling / dying so i'm thinking my vacuum leak(s) are gone. the intake gaskets i was using had taller port dimensions than what was on the heads and intake. i just never really checked it. maybe that was part of my problem. this time i measured everything and got nice felpro gaskets that have almost the exact dimensions as my heads and intake. i also put a little RTV on either side of the gasket which i've never done before. since everything was apart, i also tried to seal up my valve covers a little better by using permatex great stuff gasket maker. they always leak and it drives me nuts. hopefully that's fixed too - fingers crossed.
the timing is off so i'll have to mess with that next. that shouldn't be too hard though... i hope. just need to find the time to do that before the Batavia show this Saturday.
this car has never really ran 100%. it's always been off. i don't want to get my hopes up too much, but with all the new parts and taking the time to dial in the timing with a light, maybe just maybe it will run to it's full potential now. if this happens i'm going to throw a party!

thedukejag

Re: Camaro might be good to go!

Post by thedukejag » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 pm

That's great news.Hope it works out well and you fixed all the little gremlins most of us have to chase down . Really wanted to make the Batavia show ,but not happening.Not too sure if we will get any more shows in.Enjoy your ride.
Rick

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Great news Clint ! PS : I love parties. LOL
Last edited by petegee77 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing but Mopars Image

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm

thedukejag wrote:That's great news.Hope it works out well and you fixed all the little gremlins most of us have to chase down . Really wanted to make the Batavia show ,but not happening.Not too sure if we will get any more shows in.Enjoy your ride.
Rick there's some great shows still to come including the Hilton Applefest in October.
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Pete is right. There's still a handful of shows left this year. I always try to make the September to Remember show in East Shelby. It's probably half way between rochester and buffalo. Kinda near medina.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 am

Good news Clint, Glad to see you got it back together since we were there Saturday.

And yes, a few shows left. GM Powertrain, Olcott, Ellicotville, Roswell and Hilton Applefest
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Drove my car today & it seemed ok but sputtered a little if I was cruising at low RPMs. It also seems to have bad blow by now. Smoke comes out the breather. Does the same out the PCV hole when I remove it. When I got back home I left the car in the driveway & noticed later that it still has a bad oil leak on the passenger side. Can't seam to seal this damn thing up. Vacuum leak is gone though. I'm so sick of this car. I put it on ebay tonight with a $8500 reserve. If it doesn't sell I may part it out or possibly just put a cover on it and let it sit for a few years.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251616907215

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:06 pm

battmann wrote:Drove my car today & it seemed ok but sputtered a little if I was cruising at low RPMs. It also seems to have bad blow by now. Smoke comes out the breather. Does the same out the PCV hole when I remove it. When I got back home I left the car in the driveway & noticed later that it still has a bad oil leak on the passenger side. Can't seam to seal this damn thing up. Vacuum leak is gone though. I'm so sick of this car. I put it on ebay tonight with a $8500 reserve. If it doesn't sell I may part it out or possibly just put a cover on it and let it sit for a few years.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251616907215
ARRRRR ! So sorry to hear this Clint. I feel your frustration and I can't blame you one bit. I hope you're not serious about letting it sit for awhile. Not good at all brother.
What's Dave say about it ? He's so good with engines.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Oil leaks are frustrating Clint. My SS leaks like a Harley when I'm driving but nothing when it sits. Someday I will just pull the motor and reseal it.
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes