my '84 Chevy 20 van...

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
Keep_On_Truckin'

my '84 Chevy 20 van...

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Sun May 22, 2011 4:42 pm

HA - i'll be the first one in the project section...

i bought this one in NC when i helped my brother and sister-in-law move back to GA in March

and since getting it back up here i've found that the 350 is a 305, and it won't run because the #4 exhaust pushrod is like this:

oh well - going to put the goodwrench 350 in it out of that crew cab i had...

so i did some work cleaning up and painting for parts to go on the 350

and getting the front end apart to pull the motor out...

although i did find some rust, it's not 'that' bad considering theother vans i've owned before... i saw this water on the passenger side and it got me thinking... glad i lifted the rubber pad when i did...

they make a patch panel for this area, and it's $40 - but i might cut it out of the one i'm driving before i junk it because, ironically enough, it's solid there...

i've got some parts and pieces for it, and i have an interior layout i'm going to put in it, plus this lovely cabinet that's in the one i'm driving now...

and i've been on the 'van kick' since about '06 - so with Hot Rod's 'Vans are Back' on the cover, it's only going to raise prices on stuff... oh well...

battmann
Site Admin

Re: my '84 Chevy 20 van...

Post by battmann » Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 pm

that van brings back memories. my parents had a van just like that (same color and everything) when i was in middle and high school. i saw that last issue of Hot Rod with the vans. it's funny that that style is coming full circle.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Ryan, good luck on the van, I know with your backround in collision, you should be able to get the new one up and running in no time.

Clint your right, vans were cool in the 70's and now they are starting to be cool again
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks guys - the body and paint will be next year or so, this year i've got the motor and interior to put together... i've got a color and some graphics in mind (nothing 'outrageous') and a couple fiberglass bolt on stuff, plus some 9" centerlines...

was hoping to get the 'new' motor today, but family stuff interfered... oh well, there's always another day...

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm

last week Thursday i got the dead 305 out, took it for scrap, and set the 350 in... i'm having a little issue with the motor mounts that i kept on the 350 (from my '86 K30 pickup) but i'll get it sorted out before long...

tomorrow i'm 'off' but going up to the shop to put 'correct' motor mounts on, plus install the intake & distributor... i'd really, REALLY, like to get all the wiring back on, and try to crank it over... guess we'll see how the day goes...

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 pm

good luck tomorrow. hope things go smoothly and you get to hear that thing run!

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Good Luck Buddy! I have yet to get a distributor back in rigth the first time, LOL!

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:17 pm

LOL yeah it was 180 degrees out when i first tried it, but that's ok i just pulled it out and tossed it back in right...

it's been a bit, but it's running and driving around the shop parking lot - it's timed really advanced though, but it's pulling 50 inches of vacuum and is very crsip - think that's a problem...?

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm

so what's the next step with this beast? when are you going to shag carpet the whole thing and put some wicked 70's paint on the side??

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:22 pm

LOL if i could afford shag the whole inside (EVERYTHING) would be...!

i have 7/16" OSB down on the floor, and new seats i made out of angle iron for it - but i might end up keeping my 'tri-fold' bench seat and put it in sideways... i'm kinda torn at the moment, but if the bench seat sells i'll be happy...

i'll have to take some pics of the inside - it's a little rought right now, but all 'home improvements' start out that way...

and i won't be doing any wild murals on it - i'm planning on a silver flake base, and some celtic knotwork in stripes down the sides...

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Glad to hear the project is going in the right direction. And please post some pics!!

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

sorry it's been a while - been too busy driving the snot out of it...!

i'm so happy to be driving something decent again...

got some new pics of it's progress - i'm off tomorrow and hoping to do some more work on it, but i also have to go out to the scrap yard and scrap my '92 GMC van (the reason i could get this one)...

the interior is still pretty rough, but it's taking it's basic shape, so that's making me pretty happy... i still need to fine-tune the engine a little bit, but it's running well...

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 pm

you gonna make your own cabinetry and stuff or try to find things to reuse at the junkyards? i haven't been to any junkyards this year yet, but i'll keep an eye out for van stuff.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Looks like it's coming along Ryan. M&M on Williams street has a few conversion vans, well, they did a month ago, LOL!

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

LOL i know they did have some stuff, but they go through and crush so often it isn't funny...

does Aables in Sanborn have older vans...?

i have 2 cabinets in the van now, and i actually removed the 'dinette' seating and replaced it with a 'tri-fold' bench seat mounted sideways on the driver's side - it's very comfortable to sleep on and Damien and i did it this past weekend at a van show in Alexander...

still need to put walls up, but i'm going to run some 7/16" OSB and then paneling from Lowes... i have most of the electrical sorted out, just need to finally put it together (it's in the van just needs to be hooked to power), and i think i'm going to add a second battery in another small cabinet...

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Ables only has a few conversion vans when we were there last year, and they are pretty nasty inside. That place has really gone down hill.