Stock 1984 Trans Am

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
battmann
Site Admin

Stock 1984 Trans Am

Post by battmann » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Figured I'd start a thread about the 1984 Trans Am I bought this past February. I found it on Philadelphia Craigslist. supposed to have 80K original miles on it, but doesn't currently run. car is same color combo as mine so i should be able to use quite a bit. looks like the hatch and hood struts still work, still has the original radio and the front driver seat has power (pretty rare option). i actually have enough parts laying around that i could probably put this thing back together and drive it for awhile or sell it.

battmann
Site Admin

Re: Stock 1984 Trans Am

Post by battmann » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 pm

So got some great news last week regarding this car. I finally got the Pennsylvania title for it!
When I bought the car the guy had the title that was signed by the him and the guy he bought it from. I thought that was fine but when I tried to title it in my name here the DMV wouldn't let me. They said the guy I bought the car from doesn't technically own it until he titles it in his name and therefore can't sell it to me. I ended up talking to the guy in PA and he said he'd get the title in his name and send it back to me. i sent him the title and texted him every couple weeks for updates. Took forever but I'm glad it all worked out. Now I just have to go back to the DMV to get it titled in my name.
I originally bought this car for parts but it's in decent shape. I have a 305 engine from a '84 TA I parted years ago. I was hesitant to do any work on the car until the title issue was resolved. Now I think I'll install my spare engine and see if I can get it running again. The engine has been sitting for 10 years though so it may not work.
Dave - any recommendations on what to do with an engine that's been sitting? I don't want to totally rebuild it but also don't want to go through all the effort to put the engine in and it doesn't work.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Clint, it looks like its in pretty good shape.

As for the motor, pull the plugs and spray penetrating fluid in the cylinders. Let it soak for a few days and try to rotate the motor over. Spray WD40 or something like that in every couple days and rotate it the next. If it's not seized, this should clean up the cylinder walls with out breaking the rings.
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Should I spray PB blaster in there or something else? Is that a penetrating oil?

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:39 pm

PB Blaster is a quick penetrating oil. BUT it dries up quickly and things start to rust up. It will work but spray WD40 in there after it breaks free.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:50 am

Got the engine ready to take out but can't get to 2 of the flywheel bolts since the engine is seized. Looks like I'll have to pull the engine with the torque converter attached. I've been spraying my spare engine with WD40 and it turns real nice but it gets to a point & then won't turn. Might have to take the engine apart to check into that. Hope it's something easily fixed & not worse like a broken rod.
Dave - how much would Tim want for his old 305??

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Clint, your engine may have a rust ridge causing the stop when you crank it over. Try spraying it more and just gently force it past the stop point and then back it off again. If it stops like something is contacting a piston. Tear down will be needed.

As for Tim, I haven't heard from him in a while, but I will ask him. That reminds me, I should turn that motor over. It's been a while since I have.

Oh, and be careful pulling that motor with the convertor attached. You will need to pull it out an extra 6-8" to clear the transmission input shaft. And replace the input shaft seal regardless of how it looks. It would be a bitch if after the motor is installed and it starts leaking!

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:33 am

Is it easy to replace the input shaft seal? Does that require a tranny tear down?
Would it be better to take the driveshaft out and pull the tranny off the converter from underneath the car?

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 pm

With the torque convertor out, the seal is right there. Pops out with a screwdriver ad taps in with a hammer.

Pulling the motor is the easier way.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Clint, I finally talked to Tim this weekend.

He said he will sell you the motor is you want it. 1988 5.oL HO, 123K, smokes on start up, but no noises. $300 or best offer.

He also wants to know if you have good front lower valance for a 83-84 Trans Am? He's thinking of grafting one to the front of the SS

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Tell Tim I'll take it. It'll be easier & quicker to install something that already works.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:32 pm

I will text him in the morning and let him know.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:34 am

Hey Clint, before I say anything to Tim. I just remembered this morning, that motor is a late model. The heads are different, so you will need a late model intake. Also you will need a different fly wheel and bolts. It has a 1 piece rear main seal, and the 2 piece flywheel has different mounting pattern and thread pitch.

86 to 95 parts will work.

Let me know if your still interested

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:16 pm

So I can't use the intake & flywheel from the engine I have?
If that's the case then I'll probably look into my spare '84 engine first & then make a decision. It might be a little while until I can do that (which was the main reason I was interested in Tim's engine).

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:44 pm

The Intake has different bolt pattern, so it won't work. Sorry, but I'd rather let you know up front before you buys something and have to buy more stuff.