1984 Trans Am

Share your latest project information - pictures always help!
battmann
Site Admin

1984 Trans Am

Post by battmann » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:19 pm

i had a thread on the old site about my 1984 Trans Am project so i figured i should recreate that thread now that i'm finally making slow progress on it.

here's a "quick" summary -
i bought this 1984 Trans Am from a friend for $50 in the summer of 2001. it was in a front end accident, but it still ran and he had all the parts to fix it. he just lost interest and was going to junk it:

while i owned this car i practically rebuilt/replaced everything on it. the engine was replaced twice (sbc 400 and then sbc 327), couple trannys, rebuilt rear-end, swapped interiors, custom door panels, a friend did the bodywork and paint, GTA rims, fiberglass daytona hood, stereo system, etc... it was the first cruiser car i owned and learned a lot about working on cars with this one. this is what it ended up looking like:

in 2006 i purchased a second 1984 Trans Am for $400. it was a roller in pretty nice shape and was complete minus the engine and tranny.

the body on this car was way better than the one i already owned, so i figured i would swap all the good parts i had into this car and sell the other one. that plan was interrupted in 2007 when i purchased my 1972 Camaro, but that's another story. i finally finished all this swapping business in the fall of 2008 and sold the Trans Am that i owned since 2001.
this is what my first car looked like when i sold it:

battmann
Site Admin

Re: 1984 Trans Am

Post by battmann » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:36 pm

now down to business on the car i kept. the plan was to strip the car apart and do a ground-up resto on it over time. tearing everything apart was easy since that didn't cost me anything. look how nice these floor boards are. definitely not bad for a car that has spent its entire life in WNY.

first thing i did was try to install this non-A/C dash before i forgot where all these connections went. wiring is NOT fun! still got a couple plugs that i'm not sure what they are, but i'll figure that out later when i go to put all the interior back in.

i also did a little custom work on the dash during this install. since i switched this car to A/C delete, i had to cut a hole for the vent in the upper dash cowl. i made a template of the vent, transferred it to the cowl and made the new hole with a cutoff wheel.

i also reinstalled the side LCD monitors that i had in the other car in this dash. the bezel i made for these monitors was plastic in the old car and they warped so i had new ones made out of metal. they were painted with Duplicolor truck bed coating to mimic the texture on the dash.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:54 pm

just before winter of 2008 i dropped off all my interior (except the seats) at Moser's in Buffalo to get restored. they were going to strip and clean all of the interior tan plastic panels, repaint the panels the stock doeskin color and install new carpet inserts. i supplied the carpet insert material since i bought extra carpet when i bought replacement carpets for the car a couple months earlier. this way i knew the floor carpet and panel carpet would match. they quoted me $400 for the work which i thought was very reasonable. i wasn't in a hurry for these pieces and figured they'd be ready sometime early 2009.
Late summer / early fall of 2009 i prepped the interior side of the floor boards for paint. i scuffed everything up and had to patch two small areas. i also welded in two mounting brackets for the hatch door option that this car didn't have. i'm not very good at welding, but no one will see these areas so it was good practice. after grinding down all the welds, i put seam sealer over the top of the patches and then painted the whole floor with Duplicolor truck bed coating. looks nice and should hold up well.

oh yeah, remember those interior pieces i dropped off at Mosers? well, i didn't end up getting them back until May of 2010. the work ended up taking forever for two reasons. first, we had a really hard time finding a plastic paint that closely matched the original color. then once we found something, they had some problems with the paint not adhering to the panels. they eventually found a paint that worked, but they ended up painting all the panels twice. it was well worth the wait though since the panels turned out awesome. i don't have any pictures to post. i'll probably wait until everything is back in the car to take them.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

last fall, i talked to Dave's son Matt about starting some bodywork on the Trans Am. i'd love to learn this skill, but i don't have a lot of free time and i know i wouldn't be able to do as good of a job as Matt. he picked up the driver door before winter hit. sometime late spring, he brought the door back and picked up the front fenders and hood. the door turned out great. there was a huge dent right on the crease in the middle of the door. the rest of the door looked decent, but Matt found a lot of hidden rust and dents.

last week Matt brought back the front fenders and hood. again, i thought they were all in decent shape, but there was a lot hidden under the paint. Dave and Matt picked up the rest of the loose parts while they were here - bumper covers, spoiler, gas door, headlight buckets, passenger door, ground effects, etc... after these loose parts are done then only the shell and hatch will be left.

Image Image

Keep_On_Truckin'

Post by Keep_On_Truckin' » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 pm

looks good man - i remember that you were swapping stuff over, but didn't remember the outcome... that 'Bird you had was really cool - can't wait to see what you come up with for this one...!

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:25 pm

LOL! Funny thing is I get to see the work before Clint does!
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 pm

PICS!!!! I know work was done today! Where are the pics!!!!! LOL!

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 am

Wow - I haven't posted to this thread in two years! I didn't think it was that long ago. Time flys when you have kids.
Matt took pics of the progress. I'll have to get the before pics from him to post.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 pm

battmann wrote:Wow - I haven't posted to this thread in two years! I didn't think it was that long ago. Time flys when you have kids.
Matt took pics of the progress. I'll have to get the before pics from him to post.

LOL! I saw that it has been a while and figured it would be a good way to resurrect this thread.

I saw the pics, it is starting to look better. I'll have to find a day to come over and help you reassemble the suspension.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I'll take some pics tonight & post them up.
Putting the suspension back on should be fairly easy because I bought almost all new stuff. I do have to get a couple pieces welded in though - subframe connectors and BMR trak pak torque arm kit. I would love to get tubular a-arms & new Koni shocks / struts.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

car is starting to look like stuff is happening! i ran the grinder with a 40 grit pad for hours stripping all the paint - hey, anything i can do to help. Matt did an awesome job at cutting out and making a new piece of fender lip on the rear driver side. unfortunately i didn't take before pictures. hopefully he did. the passenger side wheel well wasn't as bad, but needed some patches behind the wheel. Matt taught me how to use various bodywork tools so i could help. i actually got some of the dents out! it felt good helping with the process instead of just watching.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am

Nice job Clint. I'm with Dave, if you could use an extra pair of hands with anything, please let me know. More than willing to help.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Well. Matt has gotten lots of work done, But all the pictures I took are history. My computer is messed up. Wont even boot up. I will try to take a few tomorrow and post them.

Clint, Might want to start thinking of a paint color.........

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Glad to hear that the car is back on track Clint. Quite a lot of work involved.
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Cool. Thanks for the update.
Yep - Matt's done a ton of work on this car. I really appreciate all his help. I never would have gotten this far without him.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:33 pm

That 1st Trans Am was very nice looking. Especially the engine and engine compartment. VERY clean and VERY nicely done Clint.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 pm

As promised, I took pics tonight.

Starting with the rear deck lid

Then the quarter panels have been patched, filled and primed

And finally, the rear markers have been smoothed and flush mounted to match the front fender markers.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:37 pm

twomanymontes wrote:LOL! Funny thing is I get to see the work before Clint does!
And you still do . :lol:
Last edited by petegee77 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Is that black primer? Cause it sure looks awesome just the way it is! I gotta try to get there one of these weekends to help. I like being able to say I did some of the work.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:41 pm

battmann wrote:Is that black primer? Cause it sure looks awesome just the way it is! I gotta try to get there one of these weekends to help. I like being able to say I did some of the work.
Be nice if you could Clint. Perhaps we could all so lunch or supper afterwards.
Nothing but Mopars Image