Another Damn Toyota Loooong winded

Show off your car and tell us what you love about it.
A**holeDriver#1

Another Damn Toyota Loooong winded

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:27 pm

So my old 85 MR2 thrashed its motor a couple years ago, and I parted it out online. (made $1100 off it too).
And as of the summer of 2010 I was looking for a new ride. I had found an 86 in Tampa for $1400 and planned to fly down and drive it back... until a 1991 fell into my lap. 1991 is the year the bodystyle first changed so its a (cooler) more modern interpretation than the old school 80's MR2s.

I looked at the car and found it to be a red 1991 MR2 non turbo with T-tops and a 5 speed tranny and about 126,000 miles. Almost perfect. I was hoping for a decent cruiser and this would suit the bill. When I drove it, i could tell it would need a clutch, there is a little noise coming from the timing belt (probably an idler) and there were a few rust spots. The rocker skins were going to need attention, and the doors were toast, but not bad for a NY car from the 90s.

Got all excited and paid for the car. $1900, and 4 hours later i drove to pick up my new car. Thing is the PO called me and told me the key does not work all of a sudden in the ignition. CRAP. I was going on vacation out of state the next morning and wanted the car somewhere safe. When i got there the ign was totally stuck. no movement at all. Tried all the tricks to no avail. So I bit the bullet and stole my own car. Broke the column, freed the wheel lock and started it with a screwdriver.

I enjoyed the car for a few hours. parked it and went on my trip. All was well for about 2 weeks after that until the $#&% hit the fan. After leaving the galleria I hopped onto the on ramp to the I90 west from the walden ave east side. It was about 6pm, and it had just stopped raining. on the second curve my right rear tire blew out causing the car to spin. If it hadnt been raining, or didnt happen while I was in a turn, or as I later realized if my rear struts werent completely blown i likely wouldnt have wrecked, but luck was not on my side.

The accident was my fault, as the tire blew due to low tire pressure (due to a slow leak I did not monitor closely enough) and my spirited driving did not help. The car began to spin, I corrected, the car began to snap the other way, so I aimed for the grass embankment just passed the guardrail. I dint have enough room. The drivers front went underneath the rail, then hooked the LF wheel on a support, which spun the car around to crush the LR of the car into the rail as well.

My girlfriend was with me at the time, and luckily all i gave her was a fear of MR2's ( and driving with me lol), and all I suffered was a sore neck and a crushed ego.

The car would have been a total but since i only had basic coveragethe insurance simply paid for the guardrail. I had the car parked at my storage space, and I started calling around for parts. I needed a LF strut, control arm, strut rod, inner tie rod, front bumper, rear bumper, hood, LF fender, both flip up headlights, windsheild, rear quarter panel, LR tail light, wiring harness for the tail light, 2 new wheels, LF turn lense, both front fender liners, part of the rear spoiler, and a fiberglass side vent for the left side. After looking at the damage I determined that it looked worse than it was, borrowed a 10 lb sledgehammer from a friend and pounded the crap out of the quarter.Image
I sourced a strut and a new strut rod via http://www.car-part.com and got the front end workable again. The car would drive around the storage place now.

Next I called a guy in Pittsburg, Ford City actually, and picked up a rear bumper, tail lights, the foam for the bumper, and a pair of those side panels... for something like $110...

I went to M&M and found a couple of steelies with 8/32nd tread tires on them, straightened out my hood and fender (sort of), made my headlights work again, and after 1/2 a roll of packing tape later the car was driveable. I put 500 miles on the car this way and decided it was safe enough for a trip. I aligned the front end because the tires were already down to 5/32nds and were quickly becoming "camber tires" and drove out to anothe guy in Schanectady.

I was pulled over by a state trooper for my windshield along the way, got there and began swapping parts. I bought a 4 wheels with tires (these were 1993+ 15 inch where as i had the 91-92 14 inch), hood, front bumper, both headlights with motors too (keep my old ones as spares), a complete spoiler assembly, and also picked up a few other odds and ends. this time i think i paid anothe $220 or so.

I got my windshield fixed for $160 and dodged the fine

next I went to another guy in Harrisburg and purchased 2 doors (with everything in them), an ignition cylinder (the key matches the doors, YES) 2 power mirrors, a front end cut that includes where mine is bent, a rear Qtr panel, a spare distributor, some various other parts too. paid under $300.

The car now has the doors on it, new rear tires,the ignition cylinder, and the spoiler part back on and is starting to resemble a car again.

Next I sourced a pioneer cd player, with an ipod cable and bluetooth connectivity... for free. installed it.

later i lost my job. not related to the above incident ^

Spraypanted the car with 97 cent walmat spraypaint to make it less fugly and i am now waiting on the body guy to be avail to put my Qtr on.

whew. I will add more text and more pics later on.
Bouncin' Off Guardrails Nationwide

battmann
Site Admin

Re: Another Damn Toyota Loooong winded

Post by battmann » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Glad you and your gf weren't hurt in the accident. You sure picked up a lot of replacement parts quick. Post some pics of the rattle can paint job. I spray painted my TA all black once. Didn't look too bad.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Dude, that sucks about the car, Glad to hear you and your girl were not hurt. Like Clint says post some pics of the rebuild
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Putting the doors on. dont worry no hood gap in front, just the side, the hood is popped. Also forgot to mention that i have installed new front pads and rotors, new rear calipers for a turbo model, and also new rear pads and rotors.

after walmart spray paint, but the clear is fading already, these were taken in Oct, at an Auto X event

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Uh Oh Better get Makko!!!! LOL! Well it's almost 1 color

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 pm

No Earl's best is touching this car, i have a couple buds that do painting for a living and one offered to do my car. House of Kolor FTW

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm

car looks good all one color. it's a fairly close match.

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm

mostly. I have a better looking pic, but my phone wont let me uplad it yet. I ll try again later.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm

House of Kolor stuff is big $$, Hope it doesn't cost you more than the car did. But It will look good when it's done, At least till you bounce it off another gaurdrail, LOL!

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you and the gf are OK. The car can be rebuilt a lot easier than you can.
Nice work with the repair job , looks decent considering what it went through.
Nothing but Mopars Image

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Little update.

The car is at the bodyshop as of last Wednesday. For about $500 cash, a friend of a friend will be performing quarter panel "surgery" on my baby. I can't wait to see the results.

I have spent another $290 on parts that have just arrived, and some that are in the mail. Goodies include h4 headlight housings that get rid of the old dim sealed beams, a turbo stye engine lid, a "short shifter", a motor mount, and a couple suspension parts I bent in august a year and a half ago.

I've been at my interior, and have installed the shift knob I posted about, as well as a couple other things that update the interior a bit.

Lots of work, but it will all be worth it in the end!

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:05 am

sounds like you'll have a lot of progress done on that car before next cruise season. cool beans.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Can't wait to see the end result!

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 am

I'm hopeing to paint it by the spring of 2013. Then it will be ready for the cruise and show season.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 am

Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm

petegee77 wrote:Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I think we all do Pete! LOL!

Saw it in August and it was taking shape then

A**holeDriver#1

Post by A**holeDriver#1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

lol, a 1 year later bump. I'll take it.
Over the summer (September) I installed a new motor (2.0L 4cyl Turbo), and a new heavier duty factory LSD transmission. The new engine is a 3SGTE motor that came from a Japanese 1992 MR2, and had 98,000 km (61,000 mi). I originally went the money saving route, and ran a hybrid clutch with the original transmission, but that was short lived. On the cars second attempt to make a pass at Dunn Tire Raceway, the differential blew its guts all over lane one. So it was back to the drawing board. I called a local buddy of mine and sourced a desirable OEM LSD transmission from a 93 MR2. This trans had a similar mileage to the motor too. Got the new trans and clutch in, and let her rip. Stock the motor is rated at approximately 225Hp. I have an aftermarket downpipe, exhaust, K&N OEM style intake filter, and a lightweight flywheel. The cumulative gains that I should experience with those mods should be around 20hp. I still need to turn up the boost, add a better intercooler, and do a tune up. This should net me between 260-275hp at the crank. I have a ton of other mods done or in the works, and I will update this thread with my progress later. I cant wait to pull her out of the driveway and start ripping on her again...

The old

Weight reduction!

New Powerplant!

Ermmm... wait. THIS is the new powerplant.

Hole in the old diff/trans case

Looking from the inside out (notice TWO holes)

diff itself, where pin let go

No pin, the spider gears were loose inside

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

You destroyed that diff good!
A couple pics weren't showing up but I fixed them for you.

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Damn!!!! That really came apart!!!!