Camaro issues

Need help fixing or customizing your ride? Post your questions and we'll try to help you out.
battmann
Site Admin

Camaro issues

Post by battmann » Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 pm

so i had some Camaro issues today. took the car out of the garage to wash it and was running weird. turns out the stud on the distributor hold down sheared off. it must have just happened when i pulled the car out because the top of the stud with the nut was laying on the back of the intake. i had to pull the distributor and then use a stud remover tool to get the thing out. luckily i had a grade 8 bolt that was the right size and thread count to fix the problem.
then i washed my car and i have some bad marks on the chrome lips of my rims. i think it's oxidation. the rims have a machined lip. i drove the car like two months ago and it got dirty, but didn't have a chance to wash it. maybe the water that got on the rims had some road salt still in it - i don't know. i used some mother's mag polish and it did get most of the marks off in a test area, but it was a lot of work and the marks aren't totally gone - they're really faint. i'm thinking about buying a small mother's power ball. i'm hoping i can fix these rims since i've only had them one year. i'd be really bummed if i ruined them.

twomanymontes

Re: Camaro issues

Post by twomanymontes » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems, A broken stud is a nightmare if it's broken flush, Fortunately you were able to get it out. As for the rims, Yeah, salt water will ruin them rather quickly if their not clear coated. The mothers power ball and polish should work, I think thats what Joe uses on his Cobra rims. Matt says he's been able to remove some harsh oxidization at work using Mothers polish, but he does it by hand. One thing you might want to do is mask off the black painted area before using the power ball, splattered polish and the powr ball will ruin that in a heatbeat.

Good luck!
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 pm

i did some more research on the internet and the lips of my rims have a turned finish and are uncoated. here's the wheel companies webpage talking about the finish. they sell a polish for their rims, but it's $20 and $16 for shipping. that's crazy.
http://www.bossmotorsports.com/protectant/faq.html
i tried polishing my rims some more today with this stuff i bought at Advance Auto called White Diamond. it seems to be working alright, but it's taking a lot of work and the lip looks hazy now. i'm probably going to polish all the rims with this stuff to remove the oxidation and then use Mother's polish to try and brighten them up. i guess i could always wetsand them as a last resort. i'm really pissed at myself that my rims are screwed up!
how much does Matt charge to polish rims???

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat May 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I heard that White Diamond stuff is really good. Haven't tried it. I don't have anything thats polished on my cars. I wouldn't wet sand them, thats going to chew them up. Maybe use find steel wool. I have a set of Slot Mags that were in really bad shape years ago [even worse now] There not clear coated, so I took a scotch brite pad to them and then hand polished them with Maguire's poilish to a dull finish, they look sweet on my 81 Monte. I guess I had better start cleaning them again before they really rot away.

Matt has a lot of work to do on your parts, Take your time on the wheels, LOL!
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

95gts

Post by 95gts » Wed May 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Power ball is useless. I would do two different things. One use eagle one never dull. If that does not work then I get a polishing compounds from sears or harbor freight. Wet sand them, use black rouge, then white rouge, should be like a mirror then.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Wed May 18, 2011 7:48 pm

thanks joe. i'll check out the eagle stuff first. i keep buying things to fix these rims and nothing is making them look brand new. it's frustrating to say the least!

95gts

Post by 95gts » Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 am

only thing you have to do is spend about 20-30 per rim, min. IK start with wet sand if they are very bad . I do it like this guy did it. http://www.robrobinette.com/polish.htm

95gts

Post by 95gts » Sat May 21, 2011 5:57 am

I also wet sand by hand, not drill like he stated...I would polish with drill tripoli and rouge.They have kits at harbor freight for 10 bucks.

95gts

Post by 95gts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 pm

how did u make out

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 am

i tried the rouge from harbor freight and i wasn't able to get a consistent finish. some spots were more polished than others. maybe i just needed to work at it longer. on the worst rim, i ended up wetsanding with 1000 grit and then i polished with the rouge. that seemed to work better, but the marks are still faint. i'm probably just going to take the rims to some metal polishing place this winter and have them fix it.

87 Monte LS

Post by 87 Monte LS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:47 pm

try the never dull clint,, joe did my intake with it and it cleaned up quik and easy

95gts

Post by 95gts » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 pm

87 Monte LS wrote:try the never dull clint,, joe did my intake with it and it cleaned up quik and easy
yes neverdull worked well! last a long time also, leaves a oil protection that should help reduce oxidation.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Hey joe - how have you been! Good I hope. Haven't seen you in awhile.

95gts

Post by 95gts » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Busy, but good. Everything if life really cane together, couldn't be better. I checked in a Lil while ago but not much activity. I never noticed I was mentioned in this thread but figure I would chime in. Work, kids, is enough to keep anyone busy. Good times thou.

johnny533

Post by johnny533 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:22 am

Might as well try to look for better stuff for polishing rim for first-hand product experience.