Interesting story...

All topics non-car related.
Bloodhound1958

Interesting story...

Post by Bloodhound1958 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 am

As you guys surely know these last few days have been brutal with the cold. I awoke yesterday morning to find that the furnace had quit. After a quick inspection I saw that the draft inducer motor had seized. This happened once before about 8 years ago. I decided to call our local furnace parts supplier ERB. They told me they had only one in stock priced at $540.00... However they refused to sell it to me because I'm not a licensed heating contractor.

Being in a rush I figured I'd have a contractor do it. I called 2 locally. I explained to the receptionist of the first outfit what the problem was and where the part could be had. About 15 minutes later this asshole calls me and starts the conversation out with "Ok Mr Fix It, why don't you go get the part and fix it yourself seeing as how you already know what's wrong with it." Totally taken back I explained that I had to be to work and was in a pinch and that ERB won't sell me the part. Totally infuriated he tells me Ok there's a part markup to $750.00 and for me to walk through your door is an additional $500.00 and there's no guarantee the price won't stop there. I told the guy to go you know what and that was that.

The second guy called me and was very nice. I explained what the problem was and he told me to try Johnstone supply. He explained that he was very busy and that they would sell me the part to do the repair myself. His only concern was that we were warm and said to call him back if I needed additional help. I then called Johnstone and they had only one in stock and it was priced at $383.00 dollars. I drove out there, picked it up and after switching it out VOILA!!! Heat like gangbusters again!

So in essence, the moral of the story is there are good people out there and there are bad. God help anyone who deals with the first guy. Probably sell his own mother or steal the gold fillings out of your teeth for a buck.

Stay warm my friends! :)
"No shitter ever came between me and Christine"....Arnold Cunningham

battmann
Site Admin

Re: Interesting story...

Post by battmann » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Glad you got it fixed and didn’t have to deal with that first jackoff. I don’t know the first thing about furnaces but I would’ve been smart enough to pass on the first guy too.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Sorry about my response to you over the phone about the furnace Wayne, you caught me at a really bad time....Just kidding. lol :lol:

Glad everything worked out. What an ahole that 1st POS was. Shows that you HAVE to shop around.
Stay warm my friend.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Wayne, I went through the same thing a few years ago. IRR supply wouldn't sell me the exhaust fan either because I wasn't a certified repairman. Funny part is I bought it of amazon for less than half what IRR wanted. Fortunately, it happened early in the fall so we didn't freeze.

Glad to hear that it's fixed
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes