Mid-year's resolution

All topics non-car related.
battmann
Site Admin

Mid-year's resolution

Post by battmann » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am

Every new year I vow to lose weight and every year I do nothing to actually accomplish it.
Well this past weekend I joined the YMCA. They were having a special where they waived the membership fee and you got a 20% discount if you joined through a friend. My friend now gets 20% off as well.
This week I've gone 4 times. I do about 45 minutes of weightlifting and the 25 minutes of cardio. It's hard fitting the time in (especially in the summer) but I gotta do it. It's only the first week but so far so good.
Hopefully by the time my TA is done I'll have lost enough weight to be more comfortable behind the wheel. LOL

petegee77

Re: Mid-year's resolution

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 pm

battmann wrote:Every new year I vow to lose weight and every year I do nothing to actually accomplish it.
Well this past weekend I joined the YMCA. They were having a special where they waived the membership fee and you got a 20% discount if you joined through a friend. My friend now gets 20% off as well.
This week I've gone 4 times. I do about 45 minutes of weightlifting and the 25 minutes of cardio. It's hard fitting the time in (especially in the summer) but I gotta do it. It's only the first week but so far so good.
Hopefully by the time my TA is done I'll have lost enough weight to be more comfortable behind the wheel. LOL
Great news and good for you Clint !! I know what you mean about how hard it is. People use to ask me "What's the hardest thing about weight lifting? " My answer... "getting to the gym" . If your going with your friend even better. You'll force each other to show up or be ridiculed to death . It's a truly great motivator ! lol All the best Clint, keep it up.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Good for you Clint. I'm hope you keep at it and reach that goal!

I'm trying a different approach. I haven't been able to eat a solid meal all week. I've lost 4 pounds already!
There is no such thing as Too Many Montes

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:07 pm

twomanymontes wrote:Good for you Clint. I'm hope you keep at it and reach that goal!

I'm trying a different approach. I haven't been able to eat a solid meal all week. I've lost 4 pounds already!
Well I guess that's one way to do it but it's awfully painful. ;)
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 pm

I ended up losing 8 pounds this week. Good start but I have a long way to go.
Yesterday I worked out my legs - squats, dead lift and lunges. I WAY overdid it. My legs are killing me today. I feel like a cripple. Whatever muscle is on the front of your leg above the knee is killing me. Going up and down stairs and the motion of sitting down is painful. Hope I feel better by Monday.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:11 pm

battmann wrote:I ended up losing 8 pounds this week. Good start but I have a long way to go.
Yesterday I worked out my legs - squats, dead lift and lunges. I WAY overdid it. My legs are killing me today. I feel like a cripple. Whatever muscle is on the front of your leg above the knee is killing me. Going up and down stairs and the motion of sitting down is painful. Hope I feel better by Monday.
Sorry brother but from my extensive experience you'll feel worse before feeling any better. That's lactic acid build up in the quadricep muscle. ( It's the strongest muscle in the body next to the heart muscle). Best way to rid of the lactic acid is to exercise it away but PLEASE have at least a day of rest in between. Muscles get torn down while exercising and build up during rest. Do set A ( legs, back and triceps ) on say Friday. Saturday do set B ( chest, shoulders and biceps ) then rest on Sunday and do set A on Monday. That gives you 48 hours rest between the different sets. Good luck.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:23 pm

I remember when I ran track and cross country in High school. We had to do stretches, then reps and different things daily. Plus run for an hour. I was pretty fit back then and actually enjoyed it. Then senior year, I hyper extended my knee and haven't been able to jog or run since.

So don't overdo it Clint.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Everything in moderation.
Nothing but Mopars Image

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:53 pm

How's everything going Clint ?
Nothing but Mopars Image

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Pretty good I think. I'm only down maybe 10-12 pounds but I am loosing inches. I'm down 2 notches on my belt and some clothes fit better. Seems like I have more energy. I used to feel sluggish a lot.
Starting to feel some muscle in there too. I was only benching 95 lbs when I started and can now do 205 lbs.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 pm

battmann wrote:Pretty good I think. I'm only down maybe 10-12 pounds but I am loosing inches. I'm down 2 notches on my belt and some clothes fit better. Seems like I have more energy. I used to feel sluggish a lot.
Starting to feel some muscle in there too. I was only benching 95 lbs when I started and can now do 205 lbs.
Hey that's just great Clint ! I put a number inside of most of my belts indicating what notch they're in then I can feel great if I go from say a 3 to a 4. If I go the other way it stops me from a run away weight gain. Keep up the good work.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Great news Clint!! I went the other way. I gained about 10 pounds. I have been taking Motrin every morning and have to take them with food, so I have been stopping to grab a breakfast sandwich everyday on my way in. I normally don't eat anything until closer to lunch. Now that I will be able to stop taking it, I can go back to my old habits and maybe drop back down to 190 again.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 pm

twomanymontes wrote:Great news Clint!! I went the other way. I gained about 10 pounds. I have been taking Motrin every morning and have to take them with food, so I have been stopping to grab a breakfast sandwich everyday on my way in. I normally don't eat anything until closer to lunch. Now that I will be able to stop taking it, I can go back to my old habits and maybe drop back down to 190 again.
Never would have guessed that you had gained the 10 when I was with you on Friday.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Sad but true, They weighed me at the dentist this morning, 202 lbs.

battmann
Site Admin

Post by battmann » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:50 am

Man, what I wouldn't give to be 202! I'd be SUPER happy to get down to 240 but that's 60 pounds away. :(

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:01 am

twomanymontes wrote:Sad but true, They weighed me at the dentist this morning, 202 lbs.
They weighed you at the DENTIST ? Never heard of that , EVER.
Nothing but Mopars Image

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:03 am

battmann wrote:Man, what I wouldn't give to be 202! I'd be SUPER happy to get down to 240 but that's 60 pounds away. :(
Yeah 202 sounds real good. I was down to 211 Thursday morning and was as happy as pig in slop.
Nothing but Mopars Image

twomanymontes

Post by twomanymontes » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:11 pm

Height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate...... They probably only do that when they put you under. I never had it done before anything that was just maintenance like a cleaning.

And I usually like to be around 190, At 185 I don't feel good. My heart races and I just feel blah. closer to 200, I feel fat and don't want to do anything.

petegee77

Post by petegee77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:52 pm

twomanymontes wrote:Height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate...... They probably only do that when they put you under. I never had it done before anything that was just maintenance like a cleaning.

And I usually like to be around 190, At 185 I don't feel good. My heart races and I just feel blah. closer to 200, I feel fat and don't want to do anything.
Didn't realize that they put you under. That's the reason alright.
Nothing but Mopars Image